Meryl Steep is one of the biggest and best actors of our time. A living icon, Streep is a multi-award winning actress who uses her platform to speak of her political and feminist views. Cast in the role of Mary Louise in season 2 of Big Little Lies creator and writer David E. Kelly wanted Streep for the role. “We hoped and prayed. I think all of us said, can we get Meryl? Can we get Meryl? Can we get Meryl? And, fortunately we did.”
Here are 10 facts you may or may not know about Meryl Streep
- Streep was crowned Homecoming Queen in her senior year and was also a cheerleader.
- In her young adult years, she was disillusioned with acting and considered a career in law however she slept through her entry exam.
- She has the most Oscar nominations of any actress – living or dead – with 21 in total.
- After she won her Oscar for Kramer vs. Kramer in 1979 – she accidentally left it in the bathroom!
- There are only six actors in the world who have won at least three Oscars, and Streep is one of them.
- After her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady, she donated her entire salary to the National Women’s History Museum.
- She kept her sunglasses from The Devil Wears Prada and wore them again in Mamma Mia!
- Streep suffers from corcoranophobia – that’s the fear of helicopters.
- Reportedly, she has only ever been rejected for four roles that she’s auditioned for throughout her career.
- She holds the record for the most Golden Globes, with nine wins and 28 nominations. Streeps 9th win was the Cecil B. DeMille Award which is an honorary award for outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment
Big Little Lies (S2) – Mondays from 10th June 1pm and 8.30pm on SoHo2 with encores Wednesdays from 12th June at 7.30pm