Quentin Tarantino is one of the worlds most successful movie directors having risen to prominence in the early 1990’s with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. To support the release of Tarantino’s highly anticipated new film Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood, selected networks and broadcasters worldwide are coming together to broadcast a series of 10 films personally curated by Tarantino himself.
The 10 films from the Columbia Pictures library date from the late 1950’s to 1970 and will air over consecutive nights in more than 80 territories around a week before the theatrical release of Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood. Segments featuring specially created conversations between Tarantino and noted film writer and historian Kim Morgan will accompany each film.
“Sony Pictures made their Columbia Pictures catalogue available to me so that I could select a series of films representative of the era in which Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood is set, The Swinging Sixties. I’m thrilled to host these movies so we can enjoy them together,” said Quentin Tarantino.
The 10 films will air across the globe including Australia, Canada, France, Italy, Japan and of course New Zealand. In New Zealand SKY will play Tarantino’s selection aptly named ‘SKY Movies Quentin Tarantino Presents Pop-Up’, which will be broadcasting all 10 films back-to-back on rotate from the 9th to the 15th of August – which is also Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood’s New Zealand theatrical release date.
Travis Dunbar, SKY’s Director of Entertainment Content “To have Quentin Tarantino personally curate and host a selection of iconic films from this seminal era of Hollywood history is a genuine coup. The care and passion that’s gone into this project is testimony to his love of movies, and is the perfect cinematic warm-up for Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood. We are thrilled to give all SKY customers the chance to experience this selection of films which inspired Tarantino himself.”
The 10 films that comprise this unique series are:
- Arizona Raiders(1965; director: William Witney) – first play Friday 9 August, 3.40pm
- Battle of the Coral Seas(1959; director: Paul Wendkos) – first play Friday 9 August, 1.55pm
- Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice(1969; director: Paul Mazursky) – first play Friday 9 August, 7.35pm
- Cactus Flower(1969; director: Gene Saks) – first play Friday 9 August, 11.25pm
- Easy Rider(1969; director: Dennis Hopper) – first play Friday 9 August, 9.35pm
- Getting Straight(1970; director: Richard Rush) – first play Saturday 10 August, 5.20am
- Gunman’s Walk(1958; director: Phil Karlson) – first play Friday 9 August, 12pm
- Hammerhead(1968; director: David Miller) – first play Friday 9 August, 5.35pm
- Model Shop(1969; director: Jacques Demy) – first play Saturday 10 August, 3.25am
- The Wrecking Crew(1968; director: Phil Karlson) – first play Saturday 10 August, 1.25am
The SKY Movies QT Presents Pop-Up will be available to all SKY customers who subscribe to at least SKY Starter from 12pm on Friday 9 August until 11pm on Thursday 15 August.