Get your family feast sorted with this 5 tasty and easy to make recipes. Sure to tingle your taste buds.
Hotdogs with Spaghetti
Prep time – 10 mins Cooking time – 10 mins
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 Onion and capsicum , sliced
– Spaghetti. Best choice is Wattie’s Spaghetti can.
– Frankfurters or hotdogs
– ½ cup grated cheese
– Hotdog buns, warmed or toasted
– Tomato and mustard sauce
– Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and capsicum and cook for 4 to 5 mins or until golden
– Cook hotdogs as per the packet instruction or put them on a barbie.
– Warm the spaghetti in a small saucepan over medium heat
– Toast the hotdog bun. Take a spoonful of spaghetti and spread in the bun, sprinkle with grated cheese, golden onion and capsicum. Put the hotdog on top and finish off with tomato sauce and mustard.
– Kids will love this easy and tasty snack.
Cheesy chilly garlic toast
Prep time – 10 mins Cook time – 10 mins
– 3-4 fresh green chillies, chopped
– ½ red bell pepper, chopped
– 2 clove garlic, chopped
– 2 Tbsp coriander, chopped
– 1 heaped tbsp butter
– 1 cup cheese
– 4 Bread
– Add chillies, bell pepper, garlic, coriander, butter and cheese and a big bowl. Mix them in a smooth mixture
– Heat a pan on medium heat and toast the bread on One side. Apply the cheese mixture on the toasted side.
– Put the bread on the pan and cook it on untoasted side, till the cheese melts.
– Remove the bread, cut them in half diagonally and serve with tomato ketchup.
– A tasty and filling snack.
Creamy Tomato soup with Fried cheese
Prep time – 45 mins Cook time – 45 mins
– 4 Tbsp butter (unsalted)
– 1 large onion, diced
– 2 carrots, diced
– 2 cans of whole peeled tomatoes (serves 6)
– 1/3 cup olive oil
– 2 bay leaves
– Salt and pepper (as per taste)
– 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 5-6 fresh basil leaves
For Fried cheese –
– 12-15 cubes of cheddar cheese
– 2 cups panko crumbs
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
– 1 or 2 egg
– Start with Fried cheese
– Mix salt, pepper and garlic in a bowl, egg in another and panko in third bowl
– Dip the cheese cube in egg -> flour mixture -> egg -> panko crumbs and finally set them on a baking sheet.
– Freeze the cheese for 30 mins.
While the cheese is cooling down, start with Soup
– In a sauce pan, melt the butter on medium heat and stir fry onions and carrots until onions are translucent. Add in tomatoes, olive oil, bay leaves, salt, pepper and chicken/vegetable stock.
– Bring soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook for 30 minutes. Add in fresh basil and remove from heat.
– Transfer soup to a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender for great results.
– Return soup to pot and add in cream. Stir until cream is fully incorporated. Set over low heat until fried cheese is ready.
For Fried cheese
– In a large pot bring 1 litre to 190 C. Remove cheese from freezer. Working in small batches gently drop prepared cheese into hot oil. Allow to cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil and set on a paper lined plate. Continue with remaining cheese.
– Serve fried cheese with hot tomato soup or your favourite dipping sauce. Best enjoyed with kids and family around.
Crispy potatoes with Pesto
Prep time – 5 mins Cook time – 40 mins
– 700g bite sized potatoes (serves 6 to 8 as nibbles)
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– Basil pesto chucky dip
– 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
– Place the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and sprinkle some salt on top. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 -15 min or until potatoes are tender
– Pre heat the oven to 220 C fan assisted
– Drain the potatoes well and place them on a baking tray covered with baking paper
– Press the potatoes with a fork to ‘smash’. Drizzle with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
– Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 mins, until crisp and golden.
– Dollop the basil pesto dip over the potatoes and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
– Easy and quick snack for the family feast. Enjoy!
Chicken Salad Sandwich
Prep time – 15 mins Cook time – 25 mins
– 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (serves 4)
– 6 slices of lemon
– 6 sprigs of dill plus 1 tbsp chopped
– ½ onion, finely chopped
– 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
– 2/3 cup mayonnaise
– ¼ cup Dijon mustard
– 2 Tbsp vinegar
– Salt and ground pepper
– Arrange the chicken breast in a large pot in single layer. Place lemon slices and dill on chicken and pour water over it at least an inch above. Bring it to boil and simmer until chicken is cooked through. Let it rest of 10 min minimum and slice into 1” pieces.
– Combine chicken, onion and celery in a bowl
– Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
– Pour the dressing over chicken mixture and toss.
– Garnish with chopped dill and serve with bread and lettuce. Toast the bread for extra crunch. Enjoy !