All New Westside is premiering on Monday 17th June on THREE. The year is 1987 and the infamous West family and their motley crew of associates are back for another season of chaos, drama, criminal conquests and classic Westie shenanigans.
This season begins with the birth of Pascalle joining her 3 year old twin brothers Van and Jethro. Kiwi actress Jessica Grace Smith debuts in the iconic role of Cheryl West for the 5th Season of Westside which will also celebrate 150 episodes of the West family saga over the last 15 years (including Outrageous Fortune).
To get you in the 80’s mood, here are some local and international events that occurred 32 years ago in 1987. Do you remember where you were?
- Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty is signed by US President Ronald Regan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev in Washington D.C.
- Synthetic serotonin Prozac debuts in the USA
- World population reached 5 billion people (it’s now over 7 billion)
- Aretha Franklin is the first woman inducted in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Bon Jovi released Living on a Prayer
- The Bangles released Walk like an Egyptian
- New Zealand’s State-owned enterprises was born
- Māori became an official language
- The stock market crashed officially on Black Monday – October 19th 1987
- Lotto tickets went on sale in New Zealand for the first time
- On the 8th June The New Zealand Nuclear Free Zone, Disarmament and Arms Control Act passed into law making our country both a nuclear and biological weapon free zone
- The All Blacks won the inaugural Rugby World Cup at Eden Park beating France 29-9
ALL NEW WESTSIDE, Monday 17th June at 8.30pm on THREE